“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato
“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.” ― Albert Einstein
“Shawn Mendes is an adorable little cutie pie.”― Me
Music is one of the biggest triumphs of humanity. It can make us happy. It can make us want to go out and drown our troubles in the nearest alcoholic liquid. It can make us remember old loves. (Both a blessing and a curse.) It keeps our fingers tapping on the steering wheel when we’re driving.
What is your favorite song? What makes it your favorite? Is it the melody that you can’t get out of your head? Or the words that stick with you when you are trying to fall asleep?
I have been going through a pretty hard time lately, so I wanted to share some songs that make me feel better when all I want to do is lie on the couch and hide under the blanket.
- “A Million Dreams” (The Greatest Showman)- Um, can we talk about how good the music from TGS is? It’s ridiculously good. If this song doesn’t fill you with like even the teeniest bit of hope, you are totally dead inside and I wish you the best.
- “Be Alright” (Dean Lewis)- To be honest, I’m not sure why this song makes me feel better. It’s a bit depressing. But he’s got the voice of a damn angel, and it gives me life to sing this as loudly as I can in the car. Sorry, not sorry.
- “High Hopes” (Panic! At The Disco)- This is one of my current favorite songs. It is catchy, and has a great message. Chiefly, that you can start from nothing, and as long as you never give up on your dream it’s possible. Thanks, Brendon Urie, you sweet baby angel.
- “Anna Sun” (Walk the Moon)- Again, another sort of depressing one. I cannot explain why this makes me feel better, but my brain is weird. It is what it is.
- “There’s Nothing Holding Me Back” (Shawn Mendes)- One of my and Livvie’s favorite karaoke jams. It’s singable as shit.
- “Seasons of Love” (RENT)- Oh, how my soul longs to see RENT live again. The soundtrack is amazing, but nothing compares to seeing it live. This song reminds you how precious time is, and that you need to enjoy every moment.
- “Youngblood” (5 Seconds of Summer)- My love of this catchy ass track is mainly due to how much Livvie loves to sing it which is HILARIOUS.
What songs lift you up when you’re down? Are you more of a lyrics over-analyzer like me, or is a good melody all it takes? Let me know in the comments!